This team is responsible for setting up and managing where bikes are parked at the registration site, first nights hotel and the destination point in Key West. Duties involve checking in each rider as they enter at each site to account that all participants are safely off the route. This team also assists with any “bike pulls” necessitated for medical or other issues. To accomplish this, Bike Parking sets up and breaks down bike racks for the event each day as the event moves along the route. Days start early and go until after last rider arrives.
Crew Description: This crew will setup, break down and manage the bicycle parking lot. The areas will consist of 50 – 100 bike racks, appropriate signage, a rider list (in alphabetical or numerical order). Bike racks are 10’ long each and should be in rows side by side with a minimum of 10’ between each row. For non-competitive events like the Ride, 9 or 10 bicycles can fit closely on each rack without risk of damage. The bikes should be parked head first then tail first. This pattern should be repeated until the rack is full.
There should be 2 people at the entrance of bike parking to check in riders and direct riders to the lettered area they should park their bike. 3-4 people are needed to help riders park their bikes and direct Riders to the water station set up near Bike Parking.
You are responsible for the safety of ALL bicycles!!! This involves authorizing access only to Riders and permitting Riders to remove bikes ONLY when their wristband matches their biketags!!!
Duties – among the duties of the Bike Parking Crew are:
- Break down bike racks at Ride Out and load them into your truck.
- Construction of a secure Bike Parking area.
- Establish and execute effective check-in and check-out procedures.
- Enforce strict crowd control, with the help of Traffic Control. Be assertive in maintaining an organized, methodical check-out procedure.
- Maintain, with the assistance of Traffic Control, street access for emergency and other vehicles.
- Assist Bike Transport Crew’s with check-in and parking of Sagged bikes. Keep an accurate list of all Sagged bicycles. The Riders will need to be able to find their bikes the next morning.
- Coordinate and cooperate with Hotel Security to pass off to them when the last bike is in a secured bike parking area for them to guard.
- Maintain all banners and signs for your area. Report damage to Dispatch for repair or replacement.
- Be responsible for displaying Pit Stop hours and any special bulletins for all Riders to see. Pass out the days route to each Rider.
- Before securing Bike Parking and turning the area over to Security, check with Command to find out if there are anymore bikes on the route.
- Break down bike area. Take apart bike racks. Prepare and pack everything into the trucks for transport to the holding area. Clean up all trash and take to dumpsters.
- Report any damage to your Crew Manager.
- Staff a water station for riders coming in the afternoon/evening and for riders in the morning. When you arrive at the hotel make sure to set up the water station.
- When you breakdown to go to the holding area, take your left over water with you. When you get to the hotel site make sure to contact dispatch to let them know if you will need more water for the riders arriving in the afternoon. They will contact Ride Services to have it delivered to you.
- As you are handling the bikes make sure you treat them gently and with care.
- Many bikes may cost thousands of dollars . Please treat them well.
- Be friendly and helpful with Riders at all times. Get them started out each morning on the right foot. Be encouraging and uplifting. Be positive and motivational. They have physical and emotional challenges ahead of them. Be gentle, be kind, be flexible!
- Encourage them to drink gatorade and water and to fill up their water containers before they set out in the morning.
Procedure – Bike Parking Crew will:
- Check each bicycle into Bike Parking by comparing the Rider Wristband and Bike Band to make sure that they match.
- When a Rider checks their bike in, the Bike Parking Crew will highlight that Rider’s number on the “Rider Matrix Form” maintained at each station, then compile all list for the Crew Manager. Be sure the Riders know what section they parked their bikes in.
- When a Rider checks their bike out, the Bike Parking Crew will highlight that Rider’s number (in a different color) on the “Rider Matrix Form” maintained at each station and compile list for the Crew Manager.
- When a Bike Transport vehicle arrives from a Pit Stop, help unload the vehicle, check in each bike number on the Rider Matrix Form. Make sure to check with the Medical Crew and Bike Maintenance Crew at the hotel for bikes that need to be sagged to the holding area.
Bike Parking CREW Manager will:
- Maintain a Master Rider Matrix form, highlighting each and every Rider that has checked their bike into hotel and report to dispatch any problems. Place an “X” if Rider came in on own. Place an “S” if bike was sagged in.
- Report every ½ hour (beginning at 3:00PM) to Dispatch the number of Riders who have checked their bikes into hotel. Include in this, the number of sagged bikes.
- At the end of each day report the numbers of bikes Parked, list of all bikes sagged to dispatch.